Monday, March 4, 2013

Marchward Ho!

As promised, this post will contain blooming orchard pictures. However, I will start this post with a few pictures from Hope's birthday, which was the 28th (she officially turned 2 1/4 this year, even though she's 9 years old; her birthday is on Leap Day)


Coffee cake has no coffee in it, go figure. Actually, this coffee cake has blueberries and pecans in it. Yum!


For Hope's birthday, the boys (Corey, Caleb, and I) gave her all the necessary tools to make muffins, including the mix. She had fun making them and serving them to us...and we didn't mind getting served, either!


For her birthday, we took Hope to Donnelly Park in Turlock. After Hope and Caleb played on the playground, we fed the ducks (and the geese, and the seagulls who I am convinced live there...not to mention the mud-hens or whatever they were that waddled around with massive feet)


"Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine!"


I am about to be attacked by the evil mutant goose with the raspy voice...I'm not joking, that thing was after me!


"Evil mutant goose? Where!?"


There he is! Just look at the pure evil intent in his eyes...and notice Hope's hesitation to stand next to him.


Here is the first glimpse at the orchards with our yearly stroll down the orchard row. I believe there are older pictures along the same theme on this blog...I just can't remember where.


Caleb's solo picture.


Hope's...


 Mine...


Corey's...


and, Mom's!


All the kids!


Mom's flower picture from Sunday.

Before the next picture, a little introduction needs to take place.

On the side of our property, there is a little tree. For years we had no idea what kind of tree it was. The only two things we did know about this tree were:

1) It was a citrus tree that had painful pointy thorns on its branches
2) It never produced any fruit

These are two great reasons to get rid of a tree, and when you add the fact that it was all alone on the side and nobody saw it anyway, you have three great reasons.

And so, we decided to chop it down. This was several years back. However, this tree was a major nuisance and refused to die! It was a very uncooperative tree. And so, it grew back. We let it alone and didn't bother with it anymore.

Well, this year, we went to the side, and lo and behold! there was fruit on the tree! Now we know what kind of tree it is. It is a grapefruit tree that produces the biggest, ugliest, grapefruit you've ever seen!


On the right is a normal grapefruit...on the left is the mutant grapefruit.


It was perfectly juicy inside, but just imagine trying to peel it!


Today (March 4) was a perfect day to take orchard pictures: sunny and beautiful. I believe this is the same row of orchard as the picture a took a few weeks ago.


 I love the blossoms...they are so photogenic!


Can you say "Allergy season"?


I love the hint of pink on the inside of the blossoms...almond blossoms are so pretty.


More of the same.


This one is one of my favorites.


 I also like this one as well. This is a wild plum tree.


I tried to get the sunlight coming through the blossom in this picture.


Buds and flowers on the same branch.


Pretty flower.


This is a plum tree.


Can you spot the bee?


I like how this picture turned out as well.


Here is a view of the almond orchard from our garage roof.

There you have it!

Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment