Sunday, March 24, 2013

Final Orchard Report

The orchards are no longer in bloom. The bees have left the orchards for other flowers, and the blossoms have quickly morphed into little almonds. The change from no leaves, to blossoms, to leaves, to almonds is extremely quick - about 5 weeks.


A quick look back - this picture is from "Of Bees and Trees" - January 29. This was about 2 weeks before the trees began to bloom.


This picture is from "Marchward Ho!" - March 4. About that time was the peak blossom period.


Fast-forward to today. All the leaves are in...the blossoms won't be back until next year.


It astounds us every year how quickly the almonds grow in. These were flowers just a couple weeks ago!


The ivy at the front door is awfully impressive...and it looks cool, too!


Remember when I said that the bees had left the orchards for other flowers? Well, they all came to our fruitless mulberry trees, which are blooming right now. They don't really have flowers, but these annoying things that we descriptively call "worms" that are terrible for allergies and stick to the bottom of your feet once they fall. When crushed after they fall, they create a carpet of sloppy worms that make a mess of everything. They are rather annoying...but they look nice in a picture!


Quickly back in time again...where there were flowers here ("Marchward Ho!") a few weeks ago...


...there are purple leaves and wild plums now. The flowers are a direct gauge of how many plums there will be on the tree come harvest time.


The grass is also getting greener, although it's hard to tell in this picture.


The only flowers left...all the rest are gone.


In the back yard, this tree we planted about 3 years ago has grown quite large.


Recently, we built a fence around our garden. Even more recently, we planted our garden. Even more even more recently, some plants started to sprout.


Our very annoying dogs...they look guilty, or something. They should!


A bean plant that is small now but will grow to be a big bean that overtakes the box.


Apparently, these tomatoes are edible! What a deal!


  And here is the garden with the new fence around it.

I hope y'all enjoyed that quick post! We are going skiing in a couple days (and went skiing last week, too), so once I get some skiing pictures, I will post on our skiing adventures. Hopefully, we won't have as many "adventures" this second time as we did the first time...

I love leaving people hanging...but you don't get to know anything about the ski trips until I say! *cue evil laugh*

For now!

Casey

1 comment:

  1. Aside from the fact that all our weeds show in these pictures, I love the post, Casey. As you know, like you, I love watching the changing seasons. ~Mom

    ReplyDelete